This jalapeño Cheese Ball recipe is a perfect appetizer for any occasion. It is made with extra sharp cheddar cheese and has a subtle spiciness from the fire roasted jalapeños.
Note: This post was updated with new content on January 3, 2019.
When I think of tailgating and game day party foods, cheese balls always come to mind. It is easy to give them almost any flavor profile, and they are always a huge hit. This jalapeño cheese ball recipe is no exception. It blends smooth cream cheese with extra sharp white cheddar for a fun flavor combo. Plus, the heat is mild, so even the least spice-tolerant guest will enjoy it. (Or you can up the spice with a simple addition.)
How To Make This Cheese Ball Recipe Ahead
Cheese balls are extremely easy to make ahead. In fact, I recommend it with this cheese ball recipe because it gives the flavors time to marry.
You can prevent the tortilla chips from getting soggy by waiting to coat it until right before serving. Once you’re ready to serve it, pull it out of the fridge and uncover it. Let it sit for 20 minutes at room temperature and then roll it in the tortilla chips.
If you just want to avoid the tortilla chips all together, you can roll it in chopped green onions instead.
Tips For How To Make This Cheese Ball Recipe
These tips will help to improve on the classic cheese ball recipe.
- How To Fire Roast jalapeños. (coming soon)
- How To Buy and Store Fresh Herbs. Make sure that the cilantro stays fresh and know what to look for at the store for the best possible herbs.
- Broiling 101. If you don’t have a gas cooktop, you’ll use your broiler to roast your jalapeños.
When To Serve This Cheese Ball Recipe
The mildly spicy flavor profile of this cheese ball recipe makes it an instant success on game day. However, it doesn’t stop there. You can make this jalapeño cheese ball recipe for:
- Bachelorette Parties
- Baby Showers
- New Year’s Eve and more…
While not your typical holiday appetizer, this jalapeño cheese ball brings a nice alternative flavor to the table. For a slightly sweeter cheese ball, add ½ cup of crushed pineapple.
How To Store Cheese Ball Leftovers
This jalapeño cheese ball recipe will stay good in the fridge for 3-5 days. The longer the jalapeño cheese ball is in the fridge, the soggier the tortilla chip coating gets. Make sure to wrap it in multiple layers of plastic wrap to ensure freshness.
What To Serve With This Jalapeño Cheese Ball Recipe
Despite being rolled in the tortilla chips, this cheese ball can be served with lots of different options. Some of my favorites include:
- Apple Slices
- Roasted Potatoes
- Grilled Pineapple slices
Of course, more tortilla chips won’t hurt either. Use the tricolored ones for an extra beautiful presentation.
Fire Roasted Jalapeño Cheese Ball Recipe
The dairy in this cheese ball really tempers the spiciness of the jalapeños. Additionally, fire roasting cuts down the heat as well. If you would like this jalapeño cheese ball recipe to be spicier, simply add a few more jalapeños. With the five that the recipe calls for, I would classify the heat for this as a light-medium.
If you don’t have a gas cooktop to fire roast the jalapeños, you can achieve the same results using the broiler. Place a rack in the upper third of your oven and turn on the broiler. Put the jalapeños on an aluminum foil lined sheet pan and broil for ten minutes (or until blackened). Flip and repeat until most of the pepper is black.
Want a free printable grocery list for this jalapeño cheese ball recipe? Get it HERE.
Use this grocery list to help simplify shopping. Everything is listed in standard grocery store amounts. If no size is specified, even the smallest package will provide more than enough.
Want to try more delicious tailgating or party appetizers? Check these out:
- Crab and Artichoke Stuffed Zucchini
- Chicken, Bacon, Spinach, and Artichoke Stuffed Mini Hand Pies
- Pesto Chicken Parmesan Sliders
- Hot Caramelized Onion Dip with Brie
Happy Cooking! 🙂
Fire Roasted Jalapeño Cheese Ball
- 16 ounces cream cheese, , softened (two boxes)
- 8 ounces extra sharp white cheddar cheese, , shredded
- 5 jalapenos
- 1/4 cup loosely packed cilantro, chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup crushed tortilla chips
- Turn the burner of a gas cooktop on high. Place the jalapeños over the flame and roast until blackened, turning as needed to cover all sides. Transfer the jalapeños to a bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Repeat until each jalapeño is roasted.
- Once the jalapeños have cooled, run them under cold running water and rub away the blackened skin. Blot them dry and mince them into small pieces. You can remove the seeds and veins if you want, but it’s not necessary. Set them aside.
- In the bowl of a electric mixer, use the paddle attachment to lightly whip the cream cheese. Add in the white cheddar cheese, jalapeños, and cilantro. Stir until combined.
- Season with salt and pepper and roll the mixture into a ball. Let it chill for 15 minutes, coat it in the crushed tortilla chips and serve.