With delicious extra sharp white cheddar and a smoky flavor from the jalapenos, this Fire Roasted Jalapeno Cheese Ball is a perfect appetizer for any occasion.
When I think of tailgating and party foods, cheese balls always come to mind. They are easy to give almost any flavor profile and always the hit of the party. This Fire Roasted Jalapeno Cheese Ball blends smooth cream cheese with extra sharp white cheddar for a fun flavor combo. It is mild with heat so even the least spice-tolerant guest will enjoy it, or you can up the spice with a simple addition.
Skills & Techniques
Make tidy work of this Fire Roasted Jalapeno Cheese Ball by brushing up on these proficiencies first.
- How To Fire Roast Jalapenos (coming soon)
- How To Buy and Store Fresh Herbs. Make sure that your cilantro stays fresh and know what to look for at the store for the best possible herbs.
- Broiling 101. If you don’t have a gas cooktop, you’ll use your broiler to roast your jalapeno.
Storage and Leftovers
If you’re making this ahead, roll your cheese ball into it’s shape and wrap it in plastic wrap BEFORE putting on the tortilla coating. Once you’re ready to serve it, pull it out of the fridge and uncover it. Let it sit for 20 minutes at room temperature and then roll it in the tortilla chips.
If you have leftovers of this Fire Roasted Jalapeno Cheese Ball, don’t worry, they’ll stay good in the fridge for 3-5 days. The longer the cheese ball is in the fridge, the soggier the tortilla chip coating will get, so make sure to wrap it in multiple layers of plastic wrap to ensure freshness.
Fire Roasted Jalapeno Cheese Ball
All the dairy in this recipe really tempers the spiciness of the cheese ball. Additionally, fire roasting the really cuts down the heat of the jalapenos. If you would like this Fire Roasted Jalapeno Cheese Ball to be spicier, simply add a few more jalapenos. With the five that the recipe calls for, I would classify the heat for this as a light medium.
If you don’t have a gas cooktop to fire roast your jalapeños, you can achieve the same results using the broiler. Just place a rack in the upper third of your oven, turn on the broiler, and add the jalapeños to an aluminum foil lined sheet pan. Broil for 10 minutes or until blackened, flip and repeat until most of the pepper is cooked.
Get your free printable grocery list for this Fire Roasted Jalapeno Cheese Ball HERE.
This grocery list has everything that you’ll need to make thisFire Roasted Jalapeno Cheese Ball recipe. To make grocery shopping simple, each ingredient is listed in easy-to-find grocery store amounts. If there is no amount specified, that means that you can buy the smallest (or largest) container available and still have plenty left over.
Want to try more delicious tailgating or party appetizers? Check these out:
- Crab and Artichoke Stuffed Zucchini
- Chicken, Bacon, Spinach, and Artichoke Stuffed Mini Hand Pies
- Pesto Chicken Parmesan Sliders
Happy Cooking! 🙂
Fire Roasted Jalapeno Cheese Ball
- 16 ounces cream cheese, , softened (two boxes)
- 8 ounces extra sharp white cheddar cheese, , shredded
- 5 jalapenos
- 1/4 cup loosely packed cilantro, chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup crushed tortilla chips
- Turn the burner of a gas cooktop on high. Place the jalapenos over the flame and roast until blackened, turning as needed to cover all sides. Transfer the jalapenos to a bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Repeat until each jalapeno is roasted.
- Once the jalapenos have cooled, run them under cool running water and rub away the blackened skin. Blot dry and transfer to a cutting board and mince (you can remove the seeds and veins if you want, but not necessary). Set aside
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, use the paddle attachment to lightly whip the cream cheese. Add in the shredded extra sharp white cheddar and stir until combined.
- Remove the bowl from the mixer and use a rubber spatula or a wooden spoon to stir in the minced jalapenos and cilantro. Season with salt and pepper, roll it in the crushed tortilla chips and serve.