With everything from brunch, to aphrodisiacs, to quick fix dinner ideas, here are the top 10 recipes of 2017. Plus, a few honorable mention skills & techniques and what to expect in 2018. Happy New Year!
Top 10 Recipes of 2017
This year was a big year for me personally. In February we found out that we were pregnant again (boy, did those aphrodisiacs work! 😉 ), and that gave way to a baby boy born at the end of October. It was an extremely difficult pregnancy that resulted in little to no energy. At the end of September, our niece came to live with us long-term. Between those two things, I don’t think I remember much of what 2017 had; which also means that I didn’t get to make nearly as many posts for you guys as I would have liked. Nonetheless, of the ones I did get out, here are the top 10 recipes of 2017.
Ham and Swiss go together in more than just a tasty sandwich. Showcase these flavors in this scrumptious Ham and Swiss Au Gratin; it’s great for brunch, Easter, Mother’s Day, or as a beautiful side dish at dinner!
This Tomato Basil Marinade is a great way to give a summery and fresh flavor upgrade to your veggies, chicken, pork, and fish with only 5 ingredients!
This White Wine and Fresh Herbs Marinade is a great way to give tonights dinner a classy flavor upgrade!
With a strong, bold flavor that is perfect for grilling, this Marinade of Many Mustards will take your meal from flat to distinctive.
Enjoy soup even in the warmer months with this bright and fresh Lemony Couscous Soup with Chicken and Spring Vegetables. Plus, it makes a great get-well soup when you’re feeling unwell.
Finish the night off right with an ice cream that earns it’s name. This Sexy Spices & Wildflower Honey Ice Cream has 6 powerful aphrodisiacs in it that will help end the meal the right way.
Enjoy all the best of in-season flavors with this Winter Fruit Salad with Cinnamon Vanilla Dressing. It’s great for the holidays, a potluck, or Thanksgiving! This easy-to-make recipe is great for chefs of all ages!
This all-purpose pineapple and citrus marinade is a great way to give a fresh, bright flavor to anything that you’re cooking!
Looking for a great way to get in the mood? The The Aromatic Arousal Cocktail (Basil Ginger Gimlet) is made with two of the strongest aromatic aphrodisiacs, basil and ginger, which make it alluring and seductive.
Make the ultimate homemade frozen treat by mastering how to make a custard base for ice cream. Plus, my favorite recipe for the best custard base for ice cream, and a recovery hack for if you curdle your base!
Honorable Mention Cooking Posts
All of these recipes are built around learning how to cook like you went to culinary school. (That’s the whole point of this blog after all.), so a quick shoutout to the top 3 skills & techniques posts of the year goes to:
What to Expect in 2018
Now that you’ve seen the top 10 recipes of 2017, I’m sure you wondering what to expect in 2018.
On The Blog:
- More Approachable Recipes. I’ve heard some feedback that a few of the recipes on this site are intimidating or too “foodie” for the average reader, so this year I’m focusing on recipes that are a bit more approachable for the every day cook.
- Consistency. Last year, with the pregnancy, my efforts to post twice a week quickly fell flat. I don’t want to do that again, so starting in the Spring, recipes will be on the blog every Tuesday. Technique and skills posts will be added as they are needed (and usually posted on Mondays).
- No Ads. Anytime I sit down to think about the future of the blog, a great user experience is always a defining theme. In order to make that happen for you, I’ve decided to step outside of the norm for food bloggers and not have ads on my site. Instead, you’ll find occasional sponsored posts and products for sale (like ebooks). I personally don’t like being inundated with ads when I visit other sites, so why would I do that to you, right?
Off The Blog & Social Media
- Emailed Recipes. Right now, emails are only sent out once a month with an overview of everything that was covered. If you would rather receive each post delivered to your email, there will be an option for that in a few months.
- Continued Social Media Presence. Despite my inconsistent posting, my instagram continued to grow (we’re up to 35k!). This year, facebook and pinterest will be the primary focus for me as I continue to find what you, the reader, are most interested in. Also, engagement with you is always my priority. I’m making it a goal this year to be more active in communicating and interacting with you both on the blog and outside of it. I look forward to getting to know you better!
Thank you so much for stopping by!
What was your favorite Food Above Gold recipe this year? Was it in the Top 10 recipes of 2017? Tell me about it in the comments or show me on social media – @foodabovegold. I absolutely LOVE seeing photos of you cooking or enjoying my recipes, so make sure to tag it with #foodabovegold for everyone to see.
Happy Cooking & Happy New Year! 🙂0